Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Feeling Particularly "Free" These Days?

Having just finished a project in SC on this past Wednesday, July 3rd, I considered going to the coast for a few hours to do some boat items.  Things that were on the "could do" list, but not the "must do immediately" list.

But before I departed the Palmetto State, I heard about TN highway patrol partnering with Department of Jackbooted Thuggery Homeland Security to conduct "DUI Checkpoints" in the Volunteer State.

There was no mention of similar "checkpointing" in NC or SC, but a trip northeast and then west, would have been 4 hours more driving than the 4 hours to just get home.  So, I opted for the path of least resistance, that is, of least potential conflict.  You might say I was domestically terrorized.  When confronted with bullying force, my standard operating procedure is to respond in kind, so it's probably a good idea I curtailed my travel plans.

How bad can it be?  Well, you tell me...



Currently, that video has some 2.3 million hits on youtube.  I wonder what the outcome would have been if the citizen had refused to open his door, or pull over into the "detainment-but-not-detainment" area.

Here's another video, also from COPBLOCK.ORG.  If you can get past the title of the video, and watch the whole thing, please tell me if you could answer "never."

As the narrator says, "asking fascists to not act like fascists, has a pretty poor track record throughout history."



The 4th Amendment reads: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

It's in their best interests (your Government's, that is) to have you trade your Freedom for perceived security, but is it in your best interest?

Historically, I have a fine respect for cops.  But, I'm just not convinced that they have any respect for me.  And to answer the question posed in the title of this piece?  No.  Not so much.

Here's an idea: stop early and spend a few minutes videotaping the next time you come to one of these blatantly illegal checkpoints.  Enough citizen-journalists, with overlapping evidence, and this crap ceases to exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment