Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Penman

I love stories that cast those rascals in more accurate, but less-favorable light than what my public indoctrination officials preached years ago.  Case in point, this from Tom Daniel and the Abbeville Institute:
That night, right there in that dark and cold cemetery, I launched into a fiery performance for the reasonable sensibility of state’s rights and the necessity of secession. I mean I brought that man up from the grave, walked him around, and pounced on each group that stopped by. Nearby, at another part of the cemetery, they were playing “Dixie” at the site of a mass grave for brave Texas volunteers who died in an Auburn hospital and never made it home, and it was the perfect surreal accompaniment for the temporary resurrection of The Penman of the Secession. I rapidly got pretty good at timing my remarks to the phrases of “Dixie.”
But by far, the best part of each performance came when I recited Samford’s original words of “government of the people, by the people, and for the people,” and concluded by telling each group that my words were stolen by that “skunk Abraham Lincoln.” The shocked gasps that erupted from each group was well worth it.
Where are today's fire-eaters and penmen of Secession, I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment