Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"Pour it on 'em, men! Let 'em have it!"

Even if it's only lip-service coming from the political left, or a photo-op for the ditherer-in-chief, we still have a day set aside for saying thanks to our Veterans. And that's a good thing.

And we still have brave men and women placing themselves in harm's way for our benefit. We can watch ball-games, and hug up on our honeys and go on unsuccessful grouse-hunts and ride horses and send out marketing emails (to companies that went bankrupt weeks ago) and rake leaves and write in our usually irrelevant (in my case) blog and think ahead to who's coming for Christmas, all because of Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airmen fighting and winning scrapes, battles, wars, and police-actions. And that's a good thing.

This morning, I signed in to my blog and noticed I had a new "follower": The Unclogged Blog. She posted the following on her blog, and I pilfered it shamelessly. To Lakota: Tell your Gunney to keep his head down, and that the Livermush guy says "thanks."

It is the
VETERAN,
not the preacher,
who has given us freedom of religion.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the campus organizer,
who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is
the VETERAN,
not the politician,
Who has given us the right to vote.


It is the
VETERAN who
salutes the Flag,


It is
the
VETERAN
who serves
under the Flag,


I thank God for each and every United States Veteran. Their sacrifice for freedom is more than I deserve.

I swear to God, and to all who may read this, my children are being raised to hold Veterans in the places of highest honor and respect.

It makes me ashamed to see lazy people who don't have the fortitude to stand and salute those who made it possible for them to be apathetic & disrespectful.

I have seen men like the gentleman in the wheelchair cry at the sight of fellow servicemen. They weep for reasons most of us cannot understand or fathom, yet there are too many who don't even care to imagine the costs of sacrifice.

Please take time to thank a Veteran! Go visit a Veteran or even send them a card if you can't make it. Show them you are proud to be an American and thankful for the freedom their service protected!

To all Veterans: my eternal, humble, solemn and devoted gratitude.

2 comments:

  1. Mornin Sir!

    You are certainly welcome. I stole that from an email my mom sent me (who lives in the mountains of N.C.)....there was no author attributed, it simply said please pass this on so that many will see it.

    That last little bit of ranting at the bottom, where I say I am ashamed and swear to God etc....(I almost never swear to God, but the fact of the matter is this...I am sick of watching apathetic Americans who take for granted the beautiful freedoms which have been fought so hard to get, and keep....then turn around and raise ignorant apathetic children...sad) those are my thoughts....the verses above cannot be attributed to me. Thanks for sharing this!

    Through our Veterans God has blessed this nation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...mom sent me (who lives in the mountains of N.C.)"

    She sounds like a fine American. If she ever complains to you that her property is overrun with grouse, please tell her you know a guy.

    And dog.

    ReplyDelete