Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

They Can't Kill Him!

I had a slight case of emergency appendectomy Friday night!  A little worse for the wear and tear, but I am still kicking ass and taking names.  The appendix had not ruptured, but had completely worn out its welcome, kind of like the dumocrats.

Back in '07, I had the famously awful medical experience with the, ahem, "best cancer hospital in the world" (MD Anderson, Houston- according to US News & World Report).  Then, except for one radiation oncologist, the whole place could burn to the ground and wouldn't truly be missed.  I can only expect that USN&WR hasn't anything good to say about Catawba, 'cause aside from one unidentified male voice in the recovery room (and we'll get to the bottom of that) and maybe a rookie anesthesiologist, these guys were top notch in every regard.  I've got two fat lips from the breathing tube, and laryngitis, heavy congestion and slight concern for pneumonia.  If you're new to the anesthesiology game, I guess you have your first time sometime.  No hard feelings for that.

There was an exchange between myself and a male voice in the recovery room, though, that's sticking in my craw somewhat.  The conversation ended with me saying to him, "be here when I get untethered from all these tubes, and we'll decide who's an asshole, asshole."  I was only semi-conscious, and hadn't yet opened my eyes, lucky for him.  But the gals (and they were the sweetest!) got him the hell out of there, and did a good job of "having no idea who it coulda been..."

The world is full of telephone tough-guys.

All things considered, though, I can't complain about the treatment.  The ER was predictably sloth-like, but I had a serious surgery and the whole roundtrip from my front door took less than 24 hours.

The stuff they gave me to bring me out of sedation kind of helped keep me up all night, and during that time I was hit by an idea for a new business venture.  Time will tell whether it's Divine Intervention or delerium, but I'm now inspired to act, and we'll see how it goes.  Wish me luck.

For those concerned over my tenacity, I tried to just ignore the whole feeling-like-I-was-stabbed thingy.  I tried rubbing some dirt in on Wednesday, and fully intended on toughing it out till Monday, had it not been for Freckles (aka Princess Nagsalot).  She's a pain in the ass, but I owe her a lot of credit for getting me to go.  Thanks, honey.

Y'all take care of yourselves out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment