Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2009

You had me at Bullet-Proof Character

I considered adding my two cents, but in comparison to the original article, it wouldn't have been worth that much.

When I tried enlisting (Seabees, Army Corps of Combat Engineers) following 9/11, and they told me I was already passed the age of consideration (I was 37 then), my letter to Congressman Cass Ballenger pleaded that we needed men like me in this fight.

It's a fight I believe in, and vowed to undertake if I was the only one who would go. I said it then, and I'll say it again now: If there is no other man who will take the fight to the terrorists and those who support and assist them, then I will go.

I also lamented my perceived worry over the state of our military, that perhaps given the weaknesses of the Clinton years, we'd cultivated a crop of softies. I am here to tell you that I stand corrected and reassured! Meet General David Petraeus (again).

Hat tip to Flopping Aces, for this magnificent article. Warrior-Monk, indeed!

I confess that I am on board with comment #4 on that post. I'd be happy to know what you guys think.

No comments:

Post a Comment